Albert Moore EM

b. ? d. ?

DATE OF EM ACTION: 07/05/1910 Water Haigh Mine, Woodlesford, Yorkshire.

Very little is known about the life of Chargeman Sinker Albert Moore, other than his actions at the Water Haigh Mine on 7th May 1910.



A  serious  shaft  accident  occurred on the   7thMay  last,  at  the  Water  Haigh  Mine, by  which six   men  lost  their  lives.    The  mine,  which  is situated  at  Oulton,  about five miles east of  Leeds, consists   of  four   pits   in   course   of   sinking  to develop  a  new mining area. Shaft  No. 1 where the  accident  happened  had been, sunk  to  a  depth of  109  yards,  and   the   work  of   lining up  with brickwork  was  being  proceeded  with. Skeleton iron  rings  are  used  to  support  the  shaft  during the  process  and it is necessary  to  remove  these as the  work  of the  bricking progresses. At  about  8  A.M. on  the   day  mentionsd, seven workmen, including  a  charge man,  were standing on  a  heavy  scaffold,  secured  by  bolts  into  the side   of   the shaft,  engaged   in   the    work   of removing  one of the  iron  rings.    The  chargeman evidently having  noticed   some   indication   of danger, sent  one  of  the  men  to  the  surface  to call  the  master  sinker,  and, shortly after  he had left,  the   scaffold   gave  way.    Five  of  the  men were   hurled   to  the   bottom   of  the  shaft,  and killed  on  the   spot;   but   one  of   them,  PatrickMcCarthy,  met with a  less  merciful  death, being trapped  by the  legs  between  the  heavy  scaffold and  the  side  of  the  shaft  and  partly  buried  by shale falling  from  the  side,  where  he lingered in agony  for  over  seven  hours.    Persistent   efforts were made  to  rescue  McCarthy from  his perilous position. Silkstone,   Moore,   Hosey   and   Jones   were among  the first to  descend  the  pit  when  it  was known   that   an   accident   had   happened.  In response  to  McCarthy’s  cries for  help, they tried to  release him in spite  of  imminent  danger  from falling  stones and  bricks, but  they  were   obliged to  return to  the  surface  for  tools.    Mr. Hodges, who  had  by   this   time  reached   the   mine,  immediately  went   down   the   pit   and  decided  to build  a  temporary   scaffold.   Moore  was  given charge  of  this  work   and   carried it   out  with admirable  coolness  and  resource.  Mr.   Pickering,   His   Majesty’s   Inspector   of Mines, arrived  on the  scene  just  when  this  was completed,  and  accompanied  by  Mr. Hodges  and Silkstone,  Moore  and  Hosey, he  entered  the  pit and  reached  the  place  where poor  McCarthy  was held  a prisoner.    In  this descent  Silkstone’s  head was  severety injured  by  a  falling  stone,  and  Mr.Hodges  and  Hosey  were  also  slightly  injured. They  found  McCarthy  still  alive   but  the  water was  rising fast  in  the  shaft  and  had  reached  his shoulders.    It  was  evident  that  he  would  soon be  drowned   and  that  nothing   could   be   done further  to  rescue   him  unless  the   water    were lowered.    Mr.  Pickering   at   once  sent   all  his fellow  rescuers to the surface  to  enable  a  larger” bowk ” to be put on and more  men  to  be  sent down  to  bale  the  water.    In  the  meantime Mr.Pickering  resolutely   stayed  by  McCarthy—now almost  delirious  with   his  sufferings—and   supporting   his  head   on  his   arms  and  breast,   he administered   such  comfort  as  he  could  to   the dying  man.    Realising  that  McCarthy  could not live until the water  was baled out. Mr.  Pickering decided that the  only  hope  was  immediate  am-putation   of  the   legs,  and   at   his  request   Mr.Hodges  brought  duwn  two  doctors  and a  Roman Catholic  Priest, but McCarthy’s terrible  sufferings came to  an end  just  as  they  reached him. Mr. Pickering   ran  imminent risk  of  losing  his life   during    the    time   that   he   stayed    with McCarthy.  Silkstone  descended  the  pit  no  less than four  times  and  did  not  desist   until he  had been  severely  injured.   Mr. Hodges  went  down with  three  separate  parties   and  displayed  great bravery  and  skill in  directing  the   work  of  the attempted  rescue. Moore  and  Hosey  also  made three   descents   and  showed  great  courage  and presence  of  mind  in face  of  danger, while  Jones who  organized  the   first   rescue  party  was  only prevented from  continuing his  brave  endeavours by  being injured  so seriously  that  he  could  not return  to  work for six  weeks.