Carmel Bernon Harvey Jnr MOH

b. 06/10/1946 Montgomery, West Virginia. d. 21/06/1967 Binh Dinh Province, Vietnam.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 21/06/1967 Binh Dinh Province, Vietnam.

Carmel B Harvey Jnr MOH

On October 6, 1946, Carmel Bernon Harvey Jr. was born in Montgomery, West Virginia. His father was Carmel Bernon Harvey, and his mother was Marcella Christian Harvey. He had a younger brother named Clyde Harvey. At some point in his childhood, the Harvey family moved to Chicago, Illinois, where he attended and graduated from George Washington High School in Chicago, Illinois, in 1965.

Harvey joined the Army from his hometown in the Hedgwisch community area of Chicago, Illinois, in 1965, and by October 27, 1966, he was serving as a specialist four (SP4) in Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile) as an 11B-Infantryman in Vietnam. On June 21, 1967, while serving in the Binh Dinh Province of South Vietnam, his company was assigned a mission to secure a downed helicopter. His platoon established a defensive perimeter around the downed helicopter. Shortly after they established the perimeter, a large enemy force attacked them from three positions. During the firefight, an enemy bullet hit and activated a hand grenade attached to Harvey’s belt. Unable to remove the live grenade from his belt, he ran toward an enemy machine-gun emplacement until the grenade exploded, killing him and momentarily halting the enemy’s fire. In recognition for his heroic sacrifice to save his squad, the U.S. government awarded SP4 Harvey the Medal of Honor on October 16, 1969. His parents and younger brother Clyde received the Medal on his behalf at The White House from President Richard M. Nixon.



For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Sp4c. Harvey distinguished himself as a fire team leader with Company B, during combat operations. Ordered to secure a downed helicopter, his platoon established a defensive perimeter around the aircraft, but shortly thereafter a large enemy force attacked the position from three sides. Sp4c. Harvey and two members of his squad were in a position directly in the path of the enemy onslaught, and their location received the brunt of the fire from an enemy machine gun. In short order, both of his companions were wounded, but Sp4c. Harvey covered this loss by increasing his deliberate rifle fire at the foe. The enemy machine gun seemed to concentrate on him and the bullets struck the ground all around his position. One round hit and armed a grenade attached to his belt. Quickly, he tried to remove the grenade but was unsuccessful. Realizing the danger to his comrades if he remained and despite the hail of enemy fire, he jumped to his feet, shouted a challenge at the enemy, and raced toward the deadly machine gun. He nearly reached the enemy position when the grenade on his belt exploded, mortally wounding Sp4c. Harvey, and stunning the enemy machine-gun crew. His final act caused a pause in the enemy fire, and the wounded men were moved from the danger area. Sp4c. Harvey’s dedication to duty, high sense of responsibility, and heroic actions inspired the others in his platoon to decisively beat back the enemy attack. His acts are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself and the U.S. Army.