b. 17/05/1866 ? d. 20/02/1943 Hove, Sussex
DATE OF AM ACTION: 14/10/1905 129 Clarendon Road, Hove, Sussex.
Caroline Robinson was born on 17th May 1866. Her father’s name was Robert William Robinson. On 10th November 1888 she married Robert William Hughes at St Mark’s Church, Peckham. Robert was a career soldier and served in the Boer War, and the First World War. She received her medal from King George V at St James Palace on 21st June 1910. Sadly, her arm had to be amputated following the fire. Caroline was unable to work following the amputation and she and her husband lived in Hove for the rest of their lives. Caroline died on 20th February 1943 and was buried in St Andrew’s Churchyard, Hove.
On the 14th October, 1905, a fire occurred on the premises, 129, Clarendon-road, Hove, where two children named Austen, aged 11 and 4 years respectively, had been left at home by their mother who was out working. Mrs. Hughes, whose house was in the same street, and who was informed of the outbreak by her daughter, ran to the house and on entering found a paraffin lamp in flames on the table, and the two children crouching in the far corner, too frightened to move. She led them out one at a time, and in shielding them from the flames her dress caught fire. Mrs Hughes afterwards carried out the blazing lamp, and while doing so sustained serious injuries to her face, chest and arms, which eventually led to the amputation of her left arm two years later.
BURIAL LOCATION: ST ANDREWS CHURCHYARD, HOVE, SUSSEX.
LOCATION OF MEDAL: UNKNOWN.