Deming Bronson MOH

b. 08/07/1894 Rhinelander, Wisconsin. d. 29/05/1957 Roseburg, Oregon.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 26-27/09/1918 near Eclisfontaine, France.

Deming Bronson MOH

Bronson was born on July 8, 1894, in Rhinelander, Wisconsin. In 1903, his parents moved the family to Seattle, where Bronson and his two older sisters and two younger brothers grew up. Bronson played football from 1912 to 1916 at the University of Washington, where he graduated with a degree in forestry. He was commissioned into the Army when the U.S. joined World War I in 1917.

By September 1918, Bronson was serving with the American Expeditionary Force in France when the Meuse-Argonne Offensive began. The bloody campaign was one of the war’s final battles and lasted until the declaration of an armistice that ended the conflict.

Bronson was a first lieutenant with Company H of the 364th Infantry Regiment, 91st Division. On Sept. 26, 1918, they were ordered to advance on the enemy near Eclisfontaine, France. Early in the engagement, Bronson was hit by hand grenade shrapnel, which left deep cuts on his face and head. That didn’t keep him from pushing forward with his men through open territory, though. With no cover, the unit used hand grenades and phosphorus bombs to capture an enemy dugout and take several soldiers prisoner.

Bronson was hit by a bullet in the left arm later that afternoon. A fellow soldier patched him up, but he was directed to the rear of the regiment to get more aid. Bronson disregarded those instructions and stayed with his company through the night, all while suffering through severe pain and shock.

The next morning, the 364th pushed forward to capture Eclisfontaine. Bronson’s company was tasked with supporting the attacking line, but instead, the first lieutenant joined that line and fought his way into the village. He even took out an enemy gunner to help capture an enemy machine gun nest. Unfortunately, a heavy barrage of enemy artillery forced the unit to withdraw from the village. Bronson remained until all the other soldiers had retreated. That sacrifice left him with further injuries after he was hit in both arms by an exploding enemy shell. Another officer had to help him get to cover, where they could render first aid.

By then, Bronson was bleeding heavily and faint from the blood loss, but he still refused to go to the rear of the regiment for medical treatment. He stayed with the front line through the night of that second day before being evacuated to a field hospital. After he left, Allied soldiers were able to recapture Eclisfontaine for a final time on Sept. 28, 1918. Less than a month later, Germany surrendered, and the war was over.

Bronson fully recovered and returned to the U.S. He left the Army and became an executive with a paint company in Ohio and New Jersey. In 1925, he married Dorothy Brown, with whom he had two daughters. More than a decade after his heroics in Eclisfontaine, Bronson learned he had earned the Medal of Honor. He received the medal from President Herbert Hoover during a ceremony in Washington, D.C., on 19 November, 1929.

Eventually, Bronson moved his family to Roseburg, Oregon, where he worked for his family’s lumber business. According to the Idaho Statesman newspaper, he was active in veterans affairs and did a stint as the national commander of the Army and Navy Legion of Valor.¬†Bronson died on May 29, 1957, while at a hospital in Roseburg, Oregon. He was 62. The former Army hero was buried in Arlington National Cemetery.



For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty in action with the enemy. On the morning of 26 September, during the advance of the 364th Infantry, 1st Lt. Bronson was struck by an exploding enemy hand grenade, receiving deep cuts on his face and back of his head. He nevertheless participated in the action which resulted in the capture of an enemy dugout from which a great number of prisoners were taken. This was effected with difficulty and under extremely hazardous conditions because it was necessary to advance without the advantage of cover and, from an exposed position, throw hand grenades and phosphorous bombs to compel the enemy to surrender. On the afternoon of the same day he was painfully wounded in the left arm by an enemy rifle bullet, and after receiving first-aid treatment he was directed to the rear. Disregarding these instructions, 1st Lt. Bronson remained on duty with his company through the night although suffering from severe pain and shock. On the morning of the 27 September, his regiment resumed its attack, the object being the village of Eclisfontaine. Company H, to which 1st Lt. Bronson was assigned, was left in support of the attacking line, Company E being in the line. He gallantly joined that company in spite of his wounds and engaged with it in the capture of the village. After the capture he remained with Company E and participated with it in the capture of an enemy machine gun, he himself killing the enemy gunner. Shortly after this encounter the company was compelled to retire due to the heavy enemy artillery barrage. During this retirement 1st Lt. Bronson, who was the last man to leave the advanced position, was again wounded in both arms by an enemy high-explosive shell. He was then assisted to cover by another officer who applied first aid. Although bleeding profusely and faint from loss of blood, 1st Lt. Bronson remained with the survivors of the company throughout the night of the second day, refusing to go to the rear for treatment. His conspicuous gallantry and spirit of self-sacrifice were a source of great inspiration to the members of the entire command.



SECTION 30, GRAVE 500-2.