Don J Jenkins MOH

b. 18/04/1948 Quality, Kentucky.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 06/01/1969 Kien Phong Province, Vietnam.

Don J Jenkins MOH

Jenkins joined the United States Army from Nashville, Tennessee, and by January 6, 1969, was serving as a private first class in Alpha Company, 2d Battalion, 39th Infantry Regiment, 9th Infantry Division. During a firefight on that day, in Kien Phong Province, Republic of Vietnam, Jenkins repeatedly exposed himself to hostile fire to engage the enemy, resupply his ammunition, and obtain new weapons. Despite being wounded himself, he made several trips through intense fire to rescue other wounded soldiers. For his actions during the battle Jenkins was promoted to staff sergeant and awarded the Medal of Honor in March 1971.

He received his Medal from President Richard M. Nixon in the East Ballroom of The White House on March 2, 1971.

After he was discharged from the Army, Jenkins returned to work in the coal mine industry. He retired from the coal mines and didn’t do anything much with veterans’ groups until after 9-11. “Things kind of change your mind and some of us started traveling around and working with Wounded Warriors and other groups and foundations,” said Jenkins.



For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. S/Sgt. Jenkins (then Pfc.), Company A, distinguished himself while serving as a machine gunner on a reconnaissance mission. When his company came under heavy crossfire from an enemy complex, S/Sgt. Jenkins unhesitatingly maneuvered forward to a perilously exposed position and began placing suppressive fire on the enemy. When his own machine gun jammed, he immediately obtained a rifle and continued to fire into the enemy bunkers until his machine gun was made operative by his assistant. He exposed himself to extremely heavy fire when he repeatedly both ran and crawled across open terrain to obtain resupplies of ammunition until he had exhausted all that was available for his machine gun. Displaying tremendous presence of mind, he then armed himself with two antitank weapons and, by himself, maneuvered through the hostile fusillade to within 20 meters of an enemy bunker to destroy that position. After moving back to the friendly defensive perimeter long enough to secure yet another weapon, a grenade launcher, S/Sgt. Jenkins moved forward to a position providing no protection and resumed placing accurate fire on the enemy until his ammunition was again exhausted. During this time he was seriously wounded by shrapnel. Undaunted and displaying great courage, he moved forward 100 meters to aid a friendly element that was pinned down only a few meters from the enemy. This he did with complete disregard for his own wound and despite having been advised that several previous rescue attempts had failed at the cost of the life of one and wounding of others. Ignoring the continuing intense fire and his painful wounds, and hindered by darkness, he made three trips to the beleaguered unit, each time pulling a wounded comrade back to safety. S/Sgt. Jenkins’ extraordinary valor, dedication, and indomitable spirit inspired his fellow soldiers to repulse the determined enemy attack and ultimately to defeat the larger force. S/Sgt. Jenkins’ risk of his life reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the U.S. Army.