Douglas Eugene Dickey MOH

b. 24/12/1946 Greenville, Ohio. d. 26/03/1967 Quang Tri, Vietnam.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 26/03/1967 Quang Tri, Vietnam.

Douglas E Dickey MOH

Douglas Dickey was born on December 24, 1946 in Greenville, Ohio. He graduated from grammar school in 1961, and from high school in 1965. On December 13, 1965, he enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve at Cincinnati, Ohio, and was discharged to re-enlist in the Regular Marine Corps on April 11, 1966.

In June 1966, after completing recruit training at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, California, he was transferred to the Marine Corps Base at Camp Pendleton, California, where he underwent individual combat training with the Second Infantry Training Regiment, graduating in August 1966.

The following October, he joined Company B, 1st Battalion, 4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, in the Republic of Vietnam. While attached to this unit, he participated in Operation Prairie. He was promoted to private first class on October 1, 1966. On November 8, 1966, he was transferred to Company C, 1st Battalion, 4th Marines, 3rd Marine Division, and participated in combat against the Viet Cong, in Operations Deckhouse, Desoto and Beacon Hill. It was during the latter engagement that he was mortally wounded on March 26, 1967. His posthumous Medal of Honor was presented on 16 April 1968 at the Marine Barracks, Washington DC by the Secretary of the Navy, Paul R. Ignatius, to his family. 



For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the Second Platoon, Company C, First Battalion, Fourth Marines, Third Marine Division in the Republic of Vietnam on March 26, 1967. While participating in Operation BEACON HILL I, the Second Platoon was engaged in a fierce battle with the Viet Cong at close range in dense jungle foliage. Private First Class Dickey had come forward to replace a radio operator who had been wounded in this intense action and was being treated by a medical corpsman. Suddenly an enemy grenade landed in the midst of a group of Marines, which included the wounded radio operator who was immobilized. Fully realizing the inevitable result of his actions, Private First Class Dickey, in a final valiant act, quickly and unhesitatingly threw himself upon the deadly grenade, absorbing with his own body the full and complete force of the explosion. Private First Class Dickey’s personal heroism, extraordinary valor and selfless courage saved a number of his comrades from certain injury and possible death at the cost of his own life.