Edgar Thomas Inkson VC DSO

b. 05/04/1872 Nainital, India. d. 19/02/1947 Chichester, Sussex.

Edgar Thomas Inkson (1872-1947) was born on 5th April 1872 at Nainital, India, the son of Surgeon-General J. Inkson, Army Medical Service, who served in the Crimean War, Indian Mutiny and Afghan Wars. His mother hailed from Eastbourne in Sussex. He was educated at Edinburgh Collegiate School, and received his medical education at University College Hospital, London. He was awarded MRCS (England) and LRCP (London), and joined the Army in April 1899, as a Surgeon on probation.

Edgar T Inkson VC DSO

He was gazetted as Surgeon-Lieutenant on 28th July 1899, just ten weeks before the outbreak of the Second Boer War, and proceeded to South Africa, as Medical Officer in Charge of the 7th, 14th and 66th Batteries, Royal Field Artillery. He was present with those batteries at the Battle of Colenso on 15th December 1899, when ten guns were lost. Shortly afterwards, he transferred as Medical Officer in charge of the 27th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers (Hart’s Brigade), and served with them at Vaal Krantz, Spion Kop, Pieter’s Hill, and the relief of Ladysmith.

On the 24th February, 1900, on Hart’s Hill, Colenso, Lieutenant Inkson carried Second Lieutenant Devenish (who was severely wounded and unable to walk) for three or four hundred yards under & very heavy fire to a place of safety. The ground over which Lieutenant Inkson had to move was much exposed, there being no cover available.

He was gazetted for the VC on 15th January 1901, and was presented with his medal on 13th May 1902 by King Edward VII at St James’ Palace. He had also been awarded the Queen’s South Africa Medal with five clasps and the King’s Medal with two clasps, and was mentioned in despatches three times.

He was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel by the time the Great War broke out, and was given command of the No 2 Field Ambulance, 1st Division, from January 1915 to November 1916, and was present with the unit in all the operations in which they took part. He was mentioned in despatches twice, awarded the DSO (1st January 1917), and in July 1917 was given command of No 1 General Hospital, which he held until August 1917, when he transferred to No 4 Stationary Hospital.

Inkson died on 19th February 1947, aged 74 at St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester, Sussex, and he was cremated at Woking Crematorium, and his ashes were interred in Brookwood Cemetery. His medals are held by the Museum of Military Medicine, Keogh Barracks, Mytchett, Surrey.





Kevin Brazier – Brookwood Cemetery Map.

Thomas Stewart – Image of Inkson VC Medal Group at RAMC Museum, Keogh Barracks.

Steve Lee www.memorialstovalour.co.uk – Woking Crematorium VCGCA Memorial.