Edwin Alexander Anderson Jnr MOH

b. 16/07/1860 Wilmington, North Carolina. d. 23/09/1933 Wilmington, North Carolina.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 22/04/1914 Veracruz, Mexico.

Edwin A Anderson Jnr MOH

Anderson was born in Wilmington, North Carolina. He was appointed a cadet midshipman to the United States Naval Academy from the 3rd Congressional District of North Carolina, on June 28, 1878, and graduated with the Class of 1882, receiving his ensign’s stripe on July 1, 1884 after the customary two year’s sea duty.

Anderson advanced slowly up the promotion ladder, such advancements in those times being received on basis of seniority; he remained an ensign for ten years before becoming a lieutenant, junior grade. Detached from USS Columbia (C-12) (Cruiser No. 12), Anderson reported on board USS Marblehead (C-11) (Cruiser No. 11) on January 28, 1897, and was serving in that ship at the time of the outbreak of the Spanish–American War in the spring of 1898.

At that time, the United States Navy threw a blockade around Cuba. By early May 1898, Marblehead was operating off the south coast of Cuba, off the port of Cienfuegos—a cable terminus important to Spanish communications—in company with the converted yacht USS Eagle (1898), USS Nashville (PG-7) (Gunboat No. 7), the revenue cutter USS Windom (1896) and the collier USS Saturn (AG-4).

During the 1900s, Anderson advanced to commander; among his tours of duty included a stint at the Navy Recruiting Station, Cincinnati, Ohio and at the Mare Island Navy Yard as ordnance officer before being given command of USS Yorktown (PG-1) (Gunboat No. 1) in the autumn of 1910. He briefly commanded USS Iowa (BB-4) (Battleship No. 4) during the assemblage the fleet in New York City before being detached for duty as Captain of the Yard at the Philadelphia Navy Yard.

Late in 1913, Anderson was given command of USS New Hampshire (BB-25) and while in command of that ship, took part in the American intervention at Veracruz, Mexico, in April 1914. It is unknown when he was presented with his Medal of Honor. 

Subsequently attending the Naval War College, Anderson served as Supervisor of Naval Auxiliary Reserves, Norfolk, and later as Commander, Squadron 3, Patrol Force, assigned defense duties out of Key West, Florida, during World War I, with USS Dolphin (PG-24) as his flagship. Appointed a rear admiral to rank from August 31, 1917, Anderson commanded Squadron 1, Patrol Force, Atlantic Fleet, for the duration of the First World War.

Relieved by Admiral Thomas Washington on October 11, 1923, Anderson returned to the United States, and was placed on the retired list with the permanent rank of rear admiral on March 23, 1924. Anderson died at his home in Masonboro Sound, Wilmington, North Carolina on 23 September 1933. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery, in Arlington, Virginia.