Francis Colton Hammond MOH

b. 09/11/1931 Alexandria, Virginia. d. 27/03/1953 near Sanae-Dong, Korea.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 26/03/1953 near Sanae-Dong, Korea.

Francis C Hammond MOH

Born and raised mostly in Alexandria, Virginia, Hammond graduated from Alexandria’s George Washington High School in January 1951.

He joined the U.S. Navy from Alexandria on March 20, 1951. He was sent to and arrived in Korea on February 1, 1953, assigned to 3rd Platoon, C Company, 1st Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division. During the night of March 26, he was killed in action at Outpost Reno. During a counterattack against an entrenched enemy force, he exposed himself to intense hostile fire in order to attend to wounded Marines, even after he had been wounded himself. When a relief unit arrived and his own unit was ordered to pull back, Hammond remained in the area, helping evacuate casualties and assisting the newly arrived corpsmen. While doing this, he was killed by mortar fire. For his heroic actions on March 26–27, he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor in September 1953.

Hammond who had been married on June 19, 1952,  was survived by his wife Phyllis and a son, Francis, Jr. His wife and son were posthumously presented Hammond’s Medal of Honor by Secretary of the Navy Robert B. Anderson during a ceremony at the White House in late December 1953.



For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as an HC serving with the 1st Marine Division in action against enemy aggressor forces on the night of 26-27 March 1953. After reaching an intermediate objective during a counterattack against a heavily entrenched and numerically superior hostile force occupying ground on a bitterly contested outpost far in advance of the main line of resistance, HC Hammond’s platoon was subjected to a murderous barrage of hostile mortar and artillery fire, followed by a vicious assault by onrushing enemy troops. Resolutely advancing through the veritable curtain of fire to aid his stricken comrades, HC Hammond moved among the stalwart garrison of marines and, although critically wounded himself, valiantly continued to administer aid to the other wounded throughout an exhausting four-hour period. When the unit was ordered to withdraw, he skillfully directed the evacuation of casualties and remained in the fire-swept area to assist the corpsmen of the relieving unit until he was struck by a round of enemy mortar fire and fell, mortally wounded. By his exceptional fortitude, inspiring initiative, and self-sacrificing efforts, HC Hammond undoubtedly saved the lives of many marines. His great personal valor in the face of overwhelming odds enhances and sustains the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.



SECTION 33, LOT 9011.