George Breeman MOH

b. 15/09/1880 Passaic, New Jersey. d. 10/04/1937 Passaic, New Jersey.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 13/04/1906 USS Kearsarge.

George Breeman MOH

Born in Passaic, New Jersey, Breeman enlisted in the United States Navy on June 2, 1902, and was rated as a landsman for training. He served briefly in the receiving ships USS Columbia (C-12) and USS USS Franklin (1864) before being assigned to the gunboat USS Topeka (PG-35) on September 19, 1902. On March 23, 1903 while still in Topeka, he was rated an ordinary seaman. In May 1903, Breeman was reassigned to USS Kearsarge (BB-5).

On April 13, 1906, a flash fire occurred in Kearsarge’s forward 13-inch turret where Breeman was serving, killing several officers and men. Burning powder fell into the 13-inch handling room below. Breeman rushed from his battle station in the adjacent powder magazine into the handling room and stamped out the fires. He then returned to the magazine, closed the hatch to the handling room, and began replacing the covers on open powder tanks.

Breeman received the Medal of Honor on May 5, 1906 for his actions on board Kearsarge the previous month and received $100 as a gratuity. Not long thereafter, his term of enlistment expired, and Breeman received an honorable discharge from the Navy. On September 16, 1912, he reenlisted at New York City. After a brief period of service in USS USS Nashville (PG-7), he transferred to the battleship USS New Hampshire (BB-25) on December 23, 1912, where he served for a little more than eight years.

During most of that time, his ship operated in the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. During America’s participation in World War I, however, he and his ship helped to train gunners in northern waters. At the end of the war, Breeman made four voyages to Europe and back in USS New Hampshire (BB-25) bringing veterans home. During his long tour of duty in New Hampshire, he advanced to the rank of chief turret captain.

On May 20, 1921, Chief Turret Captain transferred to the receiving ship at Hampton Roads, Va., before moving on to a tour of duty at the Naval Air Station Anacostia, in Washington, D.C. In March 1922, Breeman returned to sea in the new battleship USS California (BB-44). That final sea duty assignment lasted for almost three years. On May 31, 1927, he went ashore for the last time. After successive tours at the Naval Training Station, Hampton Roads, and the Navy Recruiting Station, Newark, New Jersey, Breeman was transferred to the Fleet Reserve on January 3, 1929. Chief Turret Captain Breeman died of a heart attack on April 10, 1937, in Passaic.



Breeman displayed heroism in the line of his profession while serving on board the U.S.S. Kearsarge at the time of the accidental ignition of powder charges in the forward 13-inch turret.