George Bush Thompson EM

b. ? 1848 Hethel, Norfolk.  d. 1st Q 1931 Staveley, Derbyshire.

DATE OF EM ACTION: 08/01/1913 Markham No 2 Colliery, Staveley, Derbyshire.

George Bush was born in Hethel, Norfolk in c.1848, one of eight children born to James and Julia Thompson (nee Bush). He spent all of his childhood in Norfolk, with his father passing away when he was 22. On 15th March 1874, he married Ann Belinda Marshall in Henstead, Norfolk and they had a son George William, born later that year. Soon after their marriage and the birth of their son, they moved north to Yorkshire, where they settled in Skinnigrove. George gained employment in the local colliery as a labourer underground. Sometime during the late 1890s, George and Ann moved south to Staveley, Derbyshire where George was now employed at Markham No 2 Colliery. This is where George spent the rest of his working life. At the time of the incident which led to the Edward Medal, George was 64 years of age, making his part in the rescue even more incredible. George died in Staveley, Derbyshire in 1931 aged 82.



On  the  8th  January  last  a  steel  girder  fell from  a  roof  in  the  Markham  No.  2  Colliery, Staveley, Derbyshire,  causing  a fall  of the  roof. Mr.  Cooper,  the  under  manager  of  the  mine, who  at  once  went  to  the  place,  took  steps  to repair  the  damage,  and,  while  the  debris was being  removed  in  tubs,  a  second  fall  occurred without warning and buried three men engaged in  the   work  of  removal.    Though   fragments of   the   roof   were  still   falling,   Mr.   Cooper dashed   over  the  heap  of  debris   and,   being joined  later  on  by  Mr.  Hewitt,  the  manager, he succeeded in  rescuing  two of the  men.   They then   proceeded  to  search   for  the  third  man and  discovered him completely  buried.    George Thompson,  a  workman  employed at  the  mine, came to  help,  and  the  three worked  for  about fifty  minutes  in  order  to  extricate  the  unfortunate  man.      They  had  all  but succeeded, when  a  further  heavy  fall  took  place  killing him  outright.    Notwithstanding  the   risk  of further  falls,  the  work  of rescue was  continued for  four  hours,  till the  dead  body was  reached. The  three   men    incurred   prolonged   and serious  risk  in  their  efforts  to  save life.