George Edwin Hoar AM

b. 01/05/1857 Portsea Island, Hampshire.  d. 19/10/1920 Middlesbrough.

DATE OF AM ACTION: 13/10/1891 off the coast of Northumberland.

George E Hoar AM

George Edwin Hoar was born on 1st May 1857 in Southsea, Hampshire to Clarissa Clayton, age 33, and John Hoar, age 34. George Edwin’s sister Elizabeth Prior Clayton was born in March 1858 in Southsea, Hampshire when George Edwin was 2 years old. George Edwin’s brother Edwin John was born in December 1860 in Southsea, Hampshire when George Edwin was 5 years old. In 1864 his sister Clarissa was born. On 1st May 1875, his 18th birthday he was formally engaged on ten years service with RN, recorded as Ordinary Seaman 2nd class. George married Arfea Emmeline Parham in December 1882 in Westbourne, Sussex when he was 27 years old. Over the next couple of years he was working at the Coast Guards Stations at Clogerhead, County Louth and Omeath, County Louth. His first two children Arthur and Frederick were born in 1885 and 1886, both born in Tynemouth, Northumberland, where George had moved to become a Coast Guard. In 1887 he and Arfea had their first daughter Louise, followed by another daughter Elizabeth in 1889. They completed their family with two further sons, George (born 1891) and Henry (born 1894).

By 1901, George had moved with his family to Middlesbrough. George died on 19th October 1920 in Middlesbrough and was buried in Linthorpe Cemetery.



On the occasion of the wreck of the schooner “Peggy” during a severe gale with a very heavy sea on the night of the 13th October, 1891, after four men had been rescued from the wreck by means of the rocket apparatus, the Captain of the “Peggy”informed the Chief Officer of the Coast Guard that there was another man still on board the wreck in a disabled state, he having fallen out of the rigging on to the deck of the vessel in attempting to get into the breeches buoy. GEORGE HOAR immediately volunteered to go off to the wreck and bring the man on shore, and was hauled off to the wreck, a distance of 150 yards, through the heavy sea, in the face of a tremendous gale from the south-east. He found, on arriving at the vessel, that he could not reach the man, owing to tho hawser having been secured fourteen feet above the deck (where the man lay helpless and in an unconscious state). He then signalled to be hauled on shore again, to confer with the Chief Officer ; shortly afterwards he was again hauled off, and on reaching the wreck the hawser was eased, so as to allow him (in the breeches buoy) to reach the man on the deck. As the man was perfectly helpless, GEORGE HOAR with his legs, seized the man round the body, and held him with both hands by his coatcollar ; and in this manner the two men were safely hauled on shore, the sea at times washing completely over them.





Eddie Rutherford / Ian Stubbs – Many of the images and biographical information on the page.