Gomer Jones EM

b. ? 1876 Aberdare, Glamorgan.  d. 1st Q 1931 Pontypridd, Wales.

DATE OF EM ACTION: 06/04/1910 Bwlffa Dare Colliery, Aberdare, Glamorgan.

Gomer was the youngest of three children born in 1876 in Cwmdare, Aberdare, South Wales, to William and Mary Jones. His older siblings were Ruth and David. William Jones was a collier, and as soon as a basic education was completed both of his sons, David and Gomer followed in his footsteps and also became colliers. In 1896, Gomer married Mary Ann (nee Daniel) , and they began married life in Aberdare. They would have one son, William Brynmor Jones, born in 1911. Gomer by the time of his son’s birth, had become a colliery assistant examiner and less than a year before, been involved in the rescue of John Isaac at the Bwlffa Dare Colliery. Little else is known about Gomer Jones, except that he died in the 1st Quarter of 1931 in Pontypridd, aged 54.



On the 6th April, 1910, John Isaac, a repairer, was engaged in inspecting the return airway of the Bwlffa Dare Colliery, near Aberdare, South Wales, and while he was going under a closely timbered bridge in the airway for the purpose of examining it, the bridge collapsed without warning and covered Isaac with about 40 tons of debris. Isaac would have been instantly killed if the mass of fallen material had not been partly supported by the timber in the roadway. Isaac’s assistant at once ran for help, and the under manager, Mr. W. R. Protheroe, and Mr. Gomer Jones, assistant examiner, were soon on the spot, followed by Mr. Henry Evans, the manager. They found Isaac lying about seven feet below them under the debris with only his head exposed. The roof and sides were in a very dangerous state, and there was a continual risk from “dribbling falls.”

In spite of the imminent danger, the three men set to work with great courage and perseverance. Digging carefully with their hands and sawing off the timber as they went, they were able to make a narrow tunnel to the place where Isaac lay. After working steadily and cautiously for over nine hours, they cleared a space large enough to admit of Isaac being drawn out, and finally with a united effort they managed to drag him into a place of safety. As soon as Isaac was released from his perilous position the whole fabric collapsed.

The work of rescue was carried out with excellent coolness and skill and, thanks to the efforts of the three rescuers, Isaac escaped without serious injury.