Guy Hudleston Boisragon VC

b. 05/11/1864 Kohat, India. d. 14/07/1931 Biarritz, France.

Guy Hudleston Boisragon (1864-1931) was born on 5th November 1864 in Kohat, Pakistan, the eldest son of Major-General Henry M. Boisragon, the Commandant of the 4th Sikhs, Punjab Frontier Force, and Anna, daughter of William Hudleston, of the Madras Civil Service. He was sent back to England for his education at Charterhouse, and then at the Royal Military College, Sandhurst.

Guy H Boisragon VC

He joined the 10th Regiment of Foot (later Lincolnshire Regiment) in 1885, and transferred to the 5th Gurkha Rifles in 1887. In 1888 he served in the Hazara Expedition, and in 1891 in the 2nd Hazara Expedition. He also served in the two Miranzai Expeditions in 1891, with the first expedition as Orderly Officer to the General Officer in Command. From 1891 to 1892 he served in the operations in the Hunza-Nagar country, including the capture of the Nilt Fort. It was there that with Captain Fenton Aylmer and Lieutenant Badcock, he took a prominent part in the reduction of the fort. He would be mentioned in despatches and awarded the Victoria Cross (London Gazette, 12th July 1892).

He led the assault on the Fort on 2nd December 1891, and forced his way through difficult obstacles to the inner gate, when he returned for reinforcements, moving back and forwards, under heavy fire, until he collected enough men to force the enemy out. He was presented with his medal later in 1892 in India, though by whom is not known.

Following his service at the Nilt Fort, he served in the Waziristan Campaign under Sir William Lockhart in 1894-1895. He then was Aide de Camp to the Lieutenant-General of the Punjab Command. In 1896, he was promoted to Captain, and in 1897 and 1898 he took part in the operations in the Samana and Kurrum Valley. He then served in the Tirah Campaign of 1897-1898.

He was promoted to Major in 1903, Brevet Colonel, and later Colonel of the Frontier Force. He served during the Great War, and was wounded. He received the Order of the Nile, Fourth Class for his service. Following his service in the Great War, he retired with the rank of Brigadier. He decided to live in retirement in the south of France, and died there in Biarritz on 14th July 1931, aged 66. His body was returned to England, and he was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery, London. In 2006, following work by the Victoria Cross and George Cross Association, a new headstone was placed on his grave. His medals are not publicly held.




SQUARE 119, ROW 2, GRAVE 18585


Kevin Brazier – Cemetery Map

Thomas Stewart – RMA Sandhurst VC Board