Gwyn Morgan EM

b. 28/02/1905 Llandebie, Carmarthenshire, Wales.  d. 23/04/1961 Como, Western Australia.

DATE OF EM ACTION: 03/01/1940 Askern Main Colliery, Doncaster, Yorkshire.

Gwyn was the second youngest of six children born to Thomas and Theodosia Morgan, and grew up in Carmarthenshire, West Wales. From a young age, Gwyn entered the mining industry, and largely remained in the Carmarthenshire area. In 1929 he married Netta Irene Morris in Carmarthenshire, and they had two children. Following the death of his father in 1933, Gwyn decided to become a colliery agent, and moved to Yorkshire, where he settled in the Doncaster area, near to the Askern Main Colliery. His daughter Ann was born in Yorkshire in 1944. Gwyn and Netta decided to then emigrate to Western Australia in the 1950s, where Gwyn died on 23rd April 1961, aged 56. He was buried in Karrakatta Cemetery, Perth.



At 10 a.m. on the 3rd January, 1940, a fall of roof occurred at a coal face in Warren House Seam at Askern Main Colliery, Yorkshire, and a miner named Charles Liversidge was buried by the fall. He was extricated some three hours later, without having suffered serious injury, through the gallantry displayed, in conditions of the greatest risk, by a rescue party.

Morgan, the Agent of the Colliery, arrived a few minutes after the accident and took charge of the operations. With great difficulty a way was cleared under the fall, and it was found that Liversidge was completely buried, except for his head and shoulders, and that his arms were pinned by fallen rocks and by a steel bar. Morgan succeeded in removing a stone which was pinning one of his arms. Later, when one of the other men had failed, he succeeded in getting through to Liversidge and after thirty minutes work in the most cramped position was able to free him and to pass him through to the other rescuers. Throughout he displayed outstanding courage, resource, and leadership.

Smith and Thompson were both close at hand when the fall occurred and at once commenced rescue operations. They took a prominent part in the dangerous work of clearing a way under the fall, and both were able to remove some of the debris which had pinned Liversidge down. Thompson attempted to get through to effect the final release of Liversidge, but was driven back by a further fall.

The whole work of rescue was carried on in the most difficult and dangerous conditions, and slight falls occurred frequently. A further heavy fall occurred later in the day which completely closed the passage through which the rescue had been made.