John Noah Reese Jnr MOH

b. 13/06/1923 Muskogee, Oklahoma. d. 09/02/1945 Paco Railroad Station, Manila, Philippines.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 09/02/1945 Paco Railroad Station, Manila, Philippines.

John N Reese MOH

Reese joined the Army from Pryor, Oklahoma in December 1942, and by February 9, 1945, was serving as a private first class in Company B, 148th Infantry Regiment, 37th Infantry Division. On that day, during an attack on the Paco Railroad Station in Manila, the Philippines, Reese and fellow soldier Private Cleto L. Rodriguez went ahead of their unit, took a position closer to the station, and began firing on the Japanese defenders. Together they killed over eighty Japanese soldiers before a shortage of ammunition forced them to turn back. Reese was killed while trying to return to the American lines; he was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor eight months later, on October 19, 1945. Private Rodriguez survived the battle and was also awarded the Medal of Honor.



He was engaged in the attack on the Paco Railroad Station, which was strongly defended by 300 determined enemy soldiers with machine guns and rifles, supported by several pillboxes, three 20-mm guns, one 37-mm gun, and heavy mortars. While making a frontal assault across an open field, his platoon was halted 100 yards from the station by intense enemy fire. On his own initiative he left the platoon, accompanied by a comrade, and continued forward to a house 60 yards from the objective. Although under constant enemy observation, the two men remained in this position for an hour, firing at targets of opportunity, killing more than 35 Japanese and wounding many more. Moving closer to the station and discovering a group of Japanese replacements attempting to reach pillboxes, they opened heavy fire, killed more than 40 and stopped all subsequent attempts to man the emplacements. Enemy fire became more intense as they advanced to within 20 yards of the station. From that point Pfc. Reese provided effective covering fire and courageously drew enemy fire to himself while his companion killed seven Japanese and destroyed a 20-mm gun and heavy machine gun with hand grenades. With their ammunition running low, the two men started to return to the American lines, alternately providing covering fire for each other as they withdrew. During this movement, Pfc. Reese was killed by enemy fire as he reloaded his rifle. The intrepid team, in 2 and one half hours of fierce fighting, killed more than 82 Japanese, completely disorganized their defense, and paved the way for subsequent complete defeat of the enemy at this strongpoint. By his gallant determination in the face of tremendous odds, aggressive fighting spirit, and extreme heroism at the cost of his life, Pfc. Reese materially aided the advance of our troops in Manila and provided a lasting inspiration to all those with whom he served.