Joseph Thomas Kaeble VC MM

b. 05/05/1892 St Moise, Quebec, Canada. d. 09/06/1918 Neuville-Vitasse, France.

Joseph Thomas Kaeble (1892-1918) was born on 5th May 1892 in Saint-Moise, Quebec, Canada, the son of Joseph Kaeble, a farmer. Joseph lived in the Gaspé until the age of 22. He had a brother, a sister, and a half-brother. His father died when he was still a child, and the family then settled in Sayabec, a village at the head of Lac Matapédia. There Kaeble attended the school run by the Frères de la Croix de Jésus, where he was remembered as a serious and energetic student. Later he worked as a mechanic at a local sawmill.

Joseph T Kaeble VC MM

World War I completely changed Kaeble’s life. According to family tradition, he had developed an interest in military life even before the outbreak of hostilities. As a schoolboy, it was said, he liked to carve wooden soldiers and stage mock battles. Whatever one makes of these recollections, when in 1916 Lieutenant-Colonel Philippe-Auguste Piuze, a highly regarded businessman and militia officer in Fraserville (Rivière-du-Loup) and Saint-Germain-de-Rimouski (Rimouski), raised the 189th Infantry Battalion, Joseph Kaeble was among the many residents of the lower St Lawrence region and the Gaspé to sign up as volunteers.

Kaeble was one of about ten recruits who enlisted on 20th March 1916 in Sayabec. The initial organization and training of infantry units took place at Valcartier during the war; Kaeble spent six months there before leaving for England on 27th September. Events in Europe developed as he had hoped. The 22nd Infantry Battalion, the only French Canadian battalion to fight on the continent, had lost many men in the previous months, first at Saint-Eloi (Sint-Elooi) and Mount Sorrel in Belgium, and then at Courcelette and Regina Trench in France. So reinforcements were badly needed. Kaeble was immediately assigned to the 69th Infantry Battalion. That unit, which had been in England since April, was transferred on 13th November to the 22nd, then in the throes of reorganization at Bully-Grenay, a small community northwest of Lens, France.

Called to help defend a large sector between Arras and Lens, the 22nd spent the winter of 1916–17 in this region. In April Kaeble took part in the famous offensive against Vimy Ridge which resulted in a stunning victory for the Canadian Expeditionary Force on the 12th of that month. Even if Kaeble’s name, like those of thousands of fellow infantrymen, was not mentioned in dispatches and other documents of the sort, we know he was there and participated in the action. Some 12 days after this memorable victory, while the Canadian troops were still under enemy fire, he was wounded in the right shoulder and was transported back behind the lines. He stayed there 25 days, first at No.13 General Hospital and then at No.1 Convalescent Depot, both in Boulogne.

Kaeble left Boulogne for the front on 25th May 1917. Back with his unit, he resumed his post as a machine-gunner, a job he said he really enjoyed. For the 22nd battalion, Vimy was followed by Hill 70 in August, Passchendaele (Passendale), Belgium, in October, and then the Neuville-Vitasse sector and Mercatel from the end of March 1918. Good news awaited Kaeble in the last sector. On 23rd April he was made corporal, replacing a comrade who had been promoted. Tragic events, however, also lay ahead.

The events of 8th June 1918 at Neuville-Vitasse showed that Kaeble indeed had no fear. That night, at 9:45, the enemy attempted a strong raid in the sector defended by the 22nd battalion. After an intense artillery bombardment, a three-pronged German attack was launched. At the post defended by Kaeble’s machine-gun section the resistance was truly heroic. “As soon as the barrage lifted from the front line,” according to official documents, “about fifty of the enemy advanced towards his post. By this time the whole of his section except one had become casualties. Corporal Kaeble jumped over the parapet, and, holding his Lewis gun at the hip, emptied one magazine after another into the advancing enemy, and, although wounded several times by fragments of shells and bombs, he continued to fire, and entirely blocked the enemy by his determined stand. Finally, firing all the time, he fell backwards into the trench mortally wounded. While lying on his back in the trench he fired his last cartridges over the parapet at the retreating Germans, and before losing consciousness shouted to the wounded about him: ‘Keep it up boys, do not let them get through. We must stop them.’”

Transported to hospital, Corporal Joseph Kaeble died of his wounds the next night. He was buried in the local cemetery in Wantequin, some seven miles west of Arras. Decorated with the Military Medal, he also was awarded the Victoria Cross, the highest British distinction. He was the first French Canadian soldier to be given this honour. His medals including the VC, MM, British War Medal 1914-20 and Victory Medal 1914-19 are held by the Royal 22E Regiment Museum, Quebec City, Canada.





Royal 22E Regiment Museum – Image of Kaeble VC’s Medal Group.