Joseph Xavier Grant MOH

b. 28/03/1940 Cambridge, Massachusetts. d. 13/11/1966 near Plei Djereng, Vietnam.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 13/11/1966 near Plei Djereng, Vietnam.

Joseph X Grant MOH

Grant joined the Army from Boston, Massachusetts in 1958, and was killed in action on November 13, 1966 was serving as a first lieutenant in Company A, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. During a firefight on that day in the Republic of Vietnam, Grant organized his group’s defense and repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire to rescue wounded soldiers, despite being wounded himself, before he was killed in a mortar attack. He was posthumously promoted to captain and, on November 30, 1967 his Medal of Honor was presented at The Pentagon to his family by Secretary of the Army Stanley R. Resor. 



For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. Company A was participating in a search and destroy operation when the leading platoon made contact with the enemy and a fierce fire-fight ensued. Capt. Grant was ordered to disengage the 2 remaining platoons and to maneuver them to envelop and destroy the enemy. After beginning their movement, the platoons encountered intense enemy automatic weapons and mortar fire from the front and flank. Capt. Grant was ordered to deploy the platoons in a defensive position. As this action was underway, the enemy attacked, using “human wave” assaults, in an attempt to literally overwhelm Capt. Grant’s force. In a magnificent display of courage and leadership, Capt. Grant moved under intense fire along the hastily formed defensive line repositioning soldiers to fill gaps created by the mounting casualties and inspiring and directing the efforts of his men to successfully repel the determined enemy onslaught. Seeing a platoon leader wounded, Capt. Grant hastened to his aid, in the face of the mass of fire of the entire enemy force, and moved him to a more secure position. During this action, Capt. Grant was wounded in the shoulder. Refusing medical treatment, he returned to the forward part of the perimeter, where he continued to lead and to inspire his men by his own indomitable example. While attempting to evacuate a wounded soldier, he was pinned down by fire from an enemy machine gun. With a supply of hand grenades, he crawled forward under a withering hail of fire and knocked out the machine gun, killing the crew, after which he moved the wounded man to safety. Learning that several other wounded men were pinned down by enemy fire forward of his position, Capt. Grant disregarded his painful wound and led 5 men across the fire-swept open ground to effect a rescue. Following return of the wounded men to the perimeter, a concentration of mortar fire landed in their midst and Capt. Grant was killed instantly.



SECTION 30, GRAVE 1648-2