Sir Anthony Dickson Home VC KCB

b. 30/11/1826 Dunbar, Scotland. d. 10/08/1914 Kensington, London.

Sir Anthony Dickson Home (1826-1914) was born on 30th November 1826 in Dunbar, Scotland, the son of George Home. He took the degrees of M.R.C.S, England and M.D., at St Andrews in 1847, and entered the Army Medical Department as Assistant Surgeon in 1848. He served in the Crimean Campaign in 1854-1855, with the 8th and 13th Hussars (receiving the Medal and two clasps). He then transferred into the 90th Light Infantry and was sent to India in time for the outbreak of the Mutiny in 1857.

Sir Anthony D Home

On the 26th September 1857, during the assault on the Residency at Lucknow by Major-General Havelock’s men, Home was responsible for caring for the wounded men left behind. The escort left with the wounded had, by casualties, been reduced to a few stragglers, and being entirely separated from the rest of the column, the small party with the wounded, were forced into a house, in which they defended themselves, until the rebels set it on fire. They then retreated to a nearby shed, and continued to defend themselves for over 22 hours, until they were relieved. At the end, there were just six men and Surgeon Home left to fire. Of the four officers who were with the party, all were badly wounded, and three subsequently died. Surgeon Home was recommended for the VC and he was gazetted on 18th June 1858. Later that year, he married Jersey, daughter of T.P.L. Hallett, and they went on to have two sons and six daughters. He then received his VC from Queen Victoria at Buckingham Palace on 8th June 1859.

He then served in the China War of 1860, and in the New Zealand Wars of 1863-1865. In 1865, he was created a Companion of Bath. In 1873, he was appointed Deputy Surgeon General and took part in the Ashanti Campaign, for which he was appointed Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath. Home had to return from the Gold Coast early due to a fever. Following a recovery from the illness, he became Surgeon General in Cyprus from 1878-1879. From 1881-1885 he returned to India as the Principal Medical Officer to the British Forces. He retired from his role in 1886, and retired back to England, and settled in London.

He lived for many years in retirement at his residence, 7, Palace Gardens, Kensington, where he died on 10th August 1914, aged 87. Incidentally, he died three days after the death of the first VC, Charles Davis Lucas. Home was buried in Highgate Cemetery. His medals are held and displayed by the Museum of Military Medicine, Keogh Barracks, Mytchett, Surrey.




SQUARE 49, GRAVE 16593


Kevin Brazier – Home VC Grave and Highgate Cemetery Map.

Thomas Stewart – Images of Home VC Medal Group at the RAMC Museum, Keogh Barracks and the RAMC VC Board, Sandhurst.