Theodore Safford Peck MOH

b. 22/03/1843 Burlington, Vermont. d. 15/03/1918 Burlington, Vermont.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 02/02/1864 Newport Barracks, North Carolina.

Theodore S Peck MOH

Peck was born in Burlington, Vermont. He attended local schools and was prepared to attend the University of Vermont when he opted instead to enlist for the Civil War. He tried to enlist into the military on four previous occasions, but in every case he was turned down because he was too young.

In 1861 he applied for military service a fifth time and was appointed a private in Company F, 1st Vermont Volunteer Cavalry. He took part in engagements at Middletown and Winchester, Virginia, in May, 1862. In June, 1862 he was appointed regimental quartermaster sergeant of the 9th Vermont Volunteer Infantry. He was with the regiment when it was captured at Harper’s Ferry in September, 1862. The 9th Vermont was paroled and sent to Camp Douglas (Chicago) in January, 1863, after which it guarded Confederate prisoners.

Peck accepted a commission as a second lieutenant in January, 1863. In March, 1863 the regiment returned to the Army of the Potomac and joined the siege of Suffolk, Virginia. In July and August, 1863 Peck saw action at Yorktown and Gloucester Court House, and he was involved in combat at Young’s Crossroads (now Maysville), North Carolina in December, 1863. On February 2, 1864, he took part in an engagement at Newport Barracks, North Carolina, for which he received Medal of Honor. He participated in several other battles throughout 1864 and was promoted to captain. He was wounded at Fort Harrison, Virginia, in September, 1864, but remained with his unit.

In late 1864 and early 1865 Peck assumed temporary command of a battalion in the 9th Vermont, and was then appointed acting regimental quartermaster and adjutant. In late 1864 he also served in New York City as part of a force sent to prevent civil unrest during that year’s presidential election. He then moved to 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, XVIII Army Corps, serving as assistant adjutant general, aide-de-camp and brigade quartermaster. In March, 1865 he was appointed assistant quartermaster of 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, XXIV Army Corps. He was present at the capture of Richmond, and was among first to enter city after it fell. Peck was mustered out in May 1865, having twice declined commissions in the regular Army.

Peck joined the Vermont National Guard after the Civil War and served in various command and staff positions, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. From 1870 to 1872 Peck served as chief of staff to Governor John Stewart with the rank of colonel. He was subsequently appointed commander of the Vermont National Guard’s 1st Infantry Regiment.

Peck succeeded James Stevens Peck (no relation) as Adjutant General of the Vermont National Guard with the rank of brigadier general, and served from 1881 to 1901, later receiving promotion to brevet major general to recognize his superior performance.

He was the principal of T.S. Peck Insurance, a Burlington insurance agency that represented fire, life, marine, and accident insurers, and which is still an active agency. T.S. Peck’s client base grew throughout Peck’s life, and included customers in both Vermont and Canada. He was also involved in many other Burlington business ventures, including serving on the board of directors of the Porter Manufacturing Company, Baldwin Manufacturing Company, Burlington Shade Roller Company, and Powell Manufacturing Company.



By long and persistent resistance and burning the bridges, kept a superior force of the enemy at bay and covered the retreat of the garrison.