Thomas Ward Custer MOH (Double Recipient)

b. 15/03/1845 New Rumley, Ohio. d. 25/06/1876 Little Big Horn, Montana.

DATE OF MOH ACTIONS: 02/04/1865 Namozine Church, Virginia.

                                                  06/04/1865 Sayler’s Creek, Virginia.

Thomas W Custer MOH*

Thomas Custer was born March 15, 1845, in New Rumley, Ohio. He was six years younger than his more famous brother, whom he idolized, and he wanted to follow him into the military. When the Civil War broke out, Custer was only 16 and too young to join, so he lied about his age. He enlisted in the Army’s 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry in 1861.

Custer took part in several battles in Tennessee and Georgia before being sent to perform escort duties on the staff of three generals until his unit was disbanded. When Custer reenlisted in 1864, he was promoted to second lieutenant and transferred to the 6th Michigan Cavalry, which served in Virginia. There, he worked on the staff for his brother, a brigadier general. He also fought in several campaigns, including the April 1865 Battle of Five Forks. His efforts there led to his battlefield promotion to brevet major.

On April 3, 1865, Custer was leading a charge over an enemy barricade near Namozine Church in Virginia when he grabbed the Confederate flag out of the hands of its bearer. He also secured the capture of 14 prisoners. Three days later, Custer was at the Battle of Sailor’s Creek in Virginia when he captured two more flags — one of which he stole while charging the color bearer on his horse. The animal was shot out from under him, and Custer was wounded in the face, but he managed to shoot and kill the enemy soldier to take the flag.

Custer received a Medal of Honor for each of those actions. He was the first of 19 men to have earned the nation’s highest military honor more than once. After capturing those flags, Custer wanted to keep fighting, but he was forced out of the battle due to his injuries, even though they weren’t serious. He was sent to recover in a Virginia hospital.

When the war ended, Custer stayed in the military. He was commissioned as a first lieutenant in the 7th U.S. Cavalry — where his brothers George and Boston were also serving — and fought in the Dakota and Montana territories.  He was wounded in the Washita campaign of the Indian Wars, in 1868. He later served on Reconstruction duty in South Carolina and participated in the Yellowstone Expedition of 1873, where he fought in the Battle of Honsinger Bluff, and the Black Hills Expedition of 1874. He was appointed captain in 1875 and given command of Company C of the 7th Cavalry. In 1874, at the trading post at Standing Rock Agency, Custer participated in the arrest of the Lakota Rain-in-the-Face for the 1873 murder of Dr. John Honsinger.

Custer and his brothers died during the Battle of Little Bighorn on June 25, 1876. Often referred to as “Custer’s Last Stand,” the short battle spearheaded by George Custer led to the deaths of nearly a third of the men of the 7th Cavalry, who were encircled and slaughtered by their enemy in less than an hour. The Custer brothers’ bodies were found near one another on the battlefield. It was widely rumored that Rain-in-the-Face, who had escaped from captivity and was a participant at the Little Bighorn, cut out Tom Custer’s heart after the battle; though the chief later denied it during an interview. Custer’s remains were identified by a recognizable tattoo of his initials on his arm. Thomas Custer was initially buried where he fell, but in 1877, he was reinterred at Fort Leavenworth National Cemetery in Kansas. That military post was the main supply depot for the U.S. military west of the Mississippi River.



First Award: Capture of flag on 2 April 1865.

Second Award: Second Lt. Custer leaped his horse over the enemy’s works and captured two stands of colors, having his horse shot from under him and receiving a severe wound.