Walter Jamieson MOH

b. 14/05/1842 Boulogne, France. d. 06/12/1904 Brooklyn, New York.

DATE OF MOH ACTION: 29/09/1864 Petersburg, Virginia.

Walter Jamieson MOH

Walter (who later became Sam Collyer) was born in Boulogne, France on May 14, 1842, the son of James Jamieson and Jane Taylor of Angus, Scotland. He emigrated with his family to the United States when he was a young boy.  He joined the Army from Brooklyn in September 1862. He received the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Siege of Petersburg. He left the army with the rank of Lieutenant in June 1865.

Following his Army career, Sam Collyer (as Walter was now known) became a lightweight boxer. In June 1866, he won the American Lightweight Championship when he defeated Young Barney Aaron at Pohick Landing, Virginia. He successfully defended his title for the next two fights, before on June 13, 1867, he lost the rematch with Young Barney Aaron at Aquia Creek, Virginia in a bout which lasted 68 rounds. He would reclaim the title soon afterwards by defeating Billy Kelly. He then had a bitter rivalry over three fights with Billy Edwards, where Edwards came out on top in all three meetings.

In 1876, Sam became the trainer for Billy Walker in a prize fight against Jimmy Weedon in Pennsville, New Jersey. In Round 76, Weedon knocked Walker down, and Sam threw in the towel to end the fight. Sadly, Walker died of his injuries later that night. Sam Collyer, Weedon and several other men were arrested for manslaughter. They were all convicted and sentenced to 6 years in prison. Weedon died in prison a year later. Collyer was later released after two years and pardoned. After his release, he returned to the ring. He fought in many more small fights until in 1888, at the age of 46 he decided to challenge the current Lightweight Champion, Jack McAuliffe (aged 22) to a 6 round contest. Collyer lost in Round 2 of the fight, and immediately after the fight, the Governor of New Jersey, Collyer’s former Civil War Commander, George B. McClellan summoned him, and made him take an oath never to fight again. He agreed.

After retirement Collyer began working as a machinist in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and remained there until his death on December 7, 1904. During his life he raised the teenage sons of his late brother, Henry Jamieson, and performed with the boys in Barnum and Bailey show.



Voluntarily went between the lines under a heavy fire at Petersburg, Va., to the assistance of a wounded and helpless officer, whom he carried within the Union lines. At Fort Harrison, Va., seized the regimental color, the color bearer and guard having been shot down, and, rushing forward, planted it upon the fort in full view of the entire brigade.



SECTION 10, LOT 178 NE 1/2